Who should I call when I encounter fire or water damage at my business or home?

After a fire has been safely extinguished and secured, you should contact your insurance company to report a claim. In the case of water damage, you should first ensure that the source of the water has been eliminated. Next, your insurance company will assign an adjuster for your claim and recommend restoration companies you may want to contact. As a home owner or business representative, it is your responsibility to choose a professional and certified restoration company to perform mitigation or construction services. Your insurance company cannot choose a firm for you, and they cannot guarantee any one company’s work over another. It is very important for you—the policy holder—to choose a qualified and experienced company to help you through the emotional process of restoring your belongings.